Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Miracles

8. Remember, God is an UNCHANGING God of miracles. Believe in miracles. BE THE MIRACLE.

Be ready for them. Because you'll witness miracles. Every. Single. Day. They might not be the huge, in your face kind of miracles. But they will happen. I'll share a story with you that I don't share too often...

In my first area of my mission, the first apartment we were living in just so happened to be right above a bar. Fitting for the missionaries right?? We didn't mind at all, but it probably wasn't the best idea for our living quarters. So, after living in a sister's attic for a few weeks (bless her heart. we loved it up there.) We got our very own cute little house. A house! It was a two story house with 3 bedrooms upstairs. Anyway, one night I got woken up around 2:30 a.m. by someone banging on our back door. I'm a very light sleeper, so of course I sit right up and freeze. It happens again. So I wake up my companion...

"Sister... SISTER... Someone is at our back door."

My poor companion... still trying to wake up... now hears the banging because they keep doing it. So we jump out of bed and try to look out the windows to see if we could see anyone outside. Then the banging turns into jiggling the door handle. (I should also tell you that all of our windows were open, it was super nice outside. AND our cell phone and car keys were all downstairs. We. Are. Brilliant.) So, we panic knowing that someone is trying to get INSIDE our house at 2:30 in the morning... and hide in the nearest closet. And... to make matters worse... just as we were trying to close the closet door, we hear our back door open and footsteps make their way into our house.

Just a little side note: If any of you know me... you KNOW that my biggest fear is someone breaking into my house... so you can imagine what was going through my head at that moment. The closet we hid in had those accordion type doors that you could only close completely from the outside... So we couldn't close the door all the way. We only had a teensy little crack that we could look through and you better believe that I was focused on that crack of light the entire time we were huddled in that closet.


("the" closet. I went back and had to get a picture)

My companion and I were squatting (yes, squatting. not sitting) and holding hands for over an hour just praying to know what to do. I can't even begin to tell you how hard I was praying for some sort of miracle to get us out of there. We both kept whispering to each other not to move... and after squatting and praying, squatting and praying, we both looked at each other and said, "let's go!" And we did.

I picture us being in some high action movie busting out of the closet and running down the stairs... grabbing our car keys and cell phone and getting the heck out of there! We never did find out who was in our house... they never came upstairs and didn't take a single thing. (unless they helped themselves to a BoM or a Word of Wisdom pamphlet) But I do know that God was watching over us that night... That we were part of a huge miracle... And I'm so grateful that nothing happened and we got the heck out of there!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, reading this gave me goosebumps! I am a major believer of miracles, and not just the small everyday miracles, but also the big ones. What an amazing blessing for you and your companion! I can't imagine how terrifying that had to have been. That is such an awful fear of mine. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete